6.27.2005

Rush Hour Prayer

Dear Lord, Maker of Obstacles:

I need to get where I'm going.

I would have liked to get there sooner, but it appears that this is not Your will.

And yet, I cannot help but remember that You split the Red Sea --

How hard would it be to carve a lane between these crusts of metal

And move me toward my Promised Land?

Nonetheless,

I will take this unexpected bounty of time

To ponder Your creation.

I will peek into other cars

Visit the small universes

Of the other commuters

Send a wave of compassion their way

Hope to avoid the finger

The gun

The expletive

The curse on all my people

To swim up this stream again

Tomorrow.

--Mr. Gobley

2 comments:

Alan Kellogg said...

Never blame on malevolence what can be ascribed to bad timing.

Once there were two men driving down as street. One drove fast, the other at a more moderate pace. The fast driver had to stop at every light, for the light would be red. When the slower driver reached the same light it would be green. This happened time and time again until they reached a light that appeared to be stuck on red. As the two waited for the light to turn green the second man asked the first, "Do you need to be in such a hurry, when it's really getting you nothing?"

The second man said in reply, "You're right, I shouldn't be in such a hurry all things considered. But, God, does it feel good to stomp on the accelerator!"

Mr. Gobley said...

This is a great story. i'm reminded of a time, shortly after I got my driver's license, when I was driving an unwieldy parental wagon and accidentally cut of a motorcyclist.

He pulled up next to me at the light, smiled politely, and motioned for me to roll my window down.

"Hey," he said, "did you see me back there?" I thought the correct answer would be "yes" -- i didn't know I'd cut him off -- so i answered in the affirmative.

He made a motion as if to punch me. i think he was faking, but i'll never know, because i took off and never looked back. It was bad timing all right -- mine.