9.07.2005

God on Sabbatical

God,
The original
Vacationer,
On the First
Sabbatical,
Proclaimed
The goodness
Of it all:

"All," meaning:
Creation
And rest,
Together,
Making
Existence sublime,
Lifting
Mere "Being"
Toward
A Singing
Celebration.

Moments,
Inside and out,
Celebrated
And dwelt in,
Both seen
And experienced,
Unfold,
Blossom
Like fireworks,
Give life
Like our very lungs.

We are wise
To remember
That each moment
Contains
Its sabbatical element.

This moment
Is The Creation.
Even now,
As we rejoice,
God is at work.

Even now,
As we pray
For peace,
For rain,
For relief from rain,
God is on Sabbatical.

God has set all in motion:
It is for us to work within the All,
And to cease our work
When it is time
To remember
That we Are.

--Mr. Gobley

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite stanza:
We are wise
To remember
That each moment
Contains
Its sabbatical element.

That's a hard one, isn't it? Learning to rest and Just Be even amid the turmoil and creation of our own lives. How does God do it? Resting and creating all at once?

I've been reading Sabbath Keeping by Lynne M. Baab. She's flexible in her definition of what sabbath-keeping means and draws on her experiences in many different cultures.

The main questions - what constitutes work for you? What gives you rest? Me? I'm trying to avoid computers on my sabbath and trying to focus more of my energies on my family - resting and creating together.

This poem gives me added inspiration to continue my new sabbath-keeping efforts.