5.25.2006

Benediction

Move your hand
In a slow circle
As you look out your window
At a squirrel.

Pass your palm
Over the dashboard
Of your faithful car.

Place your index finger
On the bridge
Of your child's nose;

And while you make
These silent gestures,
Think to yourself:

"As in each moment
You keep faith with me,
So I keep faith with you,
Your constancy,

Your
Being,
And together,
Our
Becoming."

This benediction
Will draw you
Into closer embrace
With the world,

Which will
Rise to greet you,
Gently,
Gratefully,
Faithfully
Each morning.

--Mr. Gobley

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember i had such a hard time understanding the Sacramental poem you wrote a while back. In thought, maybe the 7 sacraments are really like- 7x70- so, you'd be so right.

This is in the same vein- but, i get this. i so love this thought- i really think i do this sometimes(often) esp when touching my animals- that they feel the energy is positive, that i mean them no ill will- that i respect them and that i ask God to bless them- that i thank them for my living.

Of course, i also pray for dead animals i see on the roadside (after i go- ewww).

I promise to trace the bridges of my childrens' noses- in a blessing of Benediction. "Through Him, with Him and in Him- in the unity of the Holy Spirit..."

I'm so glad you share your poems, mr. gobley. It's the best way to end my day- esp when the world is so raging. Thank you :0).